Dear friends and families of Yujin Gakuen
We will soon be wrapping up Week #4 in our Slow Rollout. Next week, teachers will increase the instructional time and begin teaching the full schedule. While we encourage families to participate in all the activities assigned through Seesaw, please remember that some of the activities are optional. We understand that not all families have the same schedule and may not be able to participate in all the activities that are pushed out in Seesaw.
Change comes naturally all the time, and never more obvious as the leaves are turning colors. We have an announcement about a change at YG, our wonderful secretary, Amy Eastman, will be making a change and leaving Eugene. Amy created a short video to say goodbye to our community, which will be posted in Scott Sensei’s Seesaw account and can also be viewed here. Amy has been such a warm and friendly face in our YG office. Many of our students have found ways to drop in to the office to see her each day. I know she will be missed. It’s hard to imagine what school would be like without her. Not only was Amy very friendly, she was exceptionally capable and efficient in her work. We are very sad that Amy Sensei will be leaving, but we wish her good fortune in her future. Amy’s last day will be this Friday.
Refreshed YG Website
Families are invited to check out the refreshed website. You will notice that it looks a little different. We had to make some changes in order to make it more responsive and accessible to everyone, however, we tried to keep the same overall look. Some things that were added to the site, located at the bottom of the page: an Upcoming Events section and a School News section. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please let us know.
We will be posting our newsletter on the website along with other schoolwide communications such as important announcements and the events calendar, but zoom links will not be posted. In addition to using the website, we will also use these other channels for communications:
- Newsletter for weekly updates and schoolwide information to be sent by email
- Seesaw for announcements. These announcements will be more about technology or classroom or instructional information. I am seeking feedback on communication through Seesaw. Zoom links may be sent over Seesaw, but will also be shared by email, since some families are not using Seesaw for general communication.
- Facebook for announcements about events, PTO meetings, and other school as a second source of information.
- Email for timely announcements, reminders, hazardous weather announcements. Zoom links will be sent over email.
Parent conferences will be held on Wednesday evening, from 4 to 8 pm and Thursday, from 8AM to 8PM. There will be no school on Friday, and teachers will not be working Friday. We will be sending more information in the next week.
School Supply Pickup – Round 2
We are tentatively planning a school supply pick up on the first and third Thursdays in November. Please keep in mind that we do not know for certain if we will have enough items to distribute by the first Thursday in November. If we do not, we will plan on holding the pick up on the third Thursday. More information will be shared with families in the school newsletter, on the school website, and on Facebook, when the final details are worked out. Please stay tuned for more information to come.
How to Apply for Rent Assistance
If your household has been adversely affected by the pandemic, you may be eligible – and there are steps you can take now to prepare to apply.
How to apply for school lunch delivery: Families who aren’t able to pick up school meals and want to request daily home delivery may complete the online request form (link) in English or Spanish. Families who don’t have internet access can call 541-790-7654 and leave a message.
Site Council Meeting – Thursday, 10/15 @3:00pm
We will be holding our first site council meeting of the year.
Site Council Agenda
- Welcome and reconnecting
- Questions or concerns raised by Parent Groups
- Site Council Beginning of Year Tasks
- Review role of site council By Laws
- Review Decision Making Grid
- Outline a work plan for the year
- Calendar – determine when and how frequently we meet
PTO Meeting October 15
Wonderful YG Community – This is a reminder that PTO elections will be next week October 15 at our general meeting (held via Zoom at 6:30). You can still put your name in as a candidate. We especially need candidates willing to take on the position of President. Currently candidates are:
Heidi Iwashita – vice president
Ashley Ferryman – secretary
Thank you to folks who are willing to help this wonderful community! Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a repost of an email that was sent out last week.
Please email email@example.com if you are interested in running for an open board position! We REALLY need you (yes, YOU)! It’s an awesome group. This year will offer some opportunities to be creative in how to support our kids’ educational and cultural opportunities. The commitment is 1 board meeting, 1 general meeting a month, and other tasks as needed.
The descriptions are below- we currently have no candidates so please throw your hat in the ring! You will have a soft transition and support from current board members in getting up to speed. Please respond ASAP!
PRESIDENT – The President shall be the chief officer of the corporation and shall act as the Chair of the Board. The President shall have any other powers and duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors and shall specifically will, in general, supervise or oversee all of the affairs of the Yujin Gakuen PTO. The President shall:
Preside at all General Meetings and Board Meetings.
Serve as a liaison with the Principal of Yujin Gakuen.
Oversee work done by the Board and Committees to ensure alignment with the overall purpose and mission of the PTO.
Delegate responsibilities as needed.
Be an authorized check signer.
Set meeting agendas for both General and Board Meetings and distribute to the appropriate recipients.
VICE PRESIDENT – In the absence of the President or in the event of the President’s inability to act, the Vice President will perform the duties of the President. The Vice President, when acting as the President, will have all the powers of and is subject to the same duties of the President.
The Vice President shall:
- Assume responsibilities for duties designated by the President.
- Assume extra responsibilities and roles as designated by the Board.
The Secretary shall have overall responsibility for all recordkeeping. The Secretary shall perform, or cause to be performed, the following duties:
- Official recording of the minutes of all proceedings of the Board of Directors and members’ meetings and actions;
- Provision for notice of all meetings of the Board of Directors and members;
- Authentication of the records of the corporation;
- Maintenance of current and accurate membership lists; and
- Any other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors.
I will be sharing information with the PTO at tonight’s meeting. Here’s a preview of my report. I hope to see you at the meeting.
- A brief tour of our new website.
- A brief talk about what outlets YG will be using for schoolwide communication:
- Website for announcements and events calendar (zoom links not posted)
- Newsletter for weekly updates and schoolwide information
- Seesaw for announcements, but more focused technology or more classroom or instructional information. I am seeking feedback on communication through Seesaw.
- Facebook for announcements about events, PTO meetings.
- Email for timely announcements, reminders, hazardous weather announcements
- A briefing on Site Council
- A briefing on the YG parent zoom meeting
YG Contact Directory
As the new school year kicks off, we are all facing many challenges and hopefully we will create many solutions, together. Seeing old friends and meeting new friends is a big part of the return to school in the fall, and we are hoping to support some of these connections with this updated Yujin Gakuen Contact Directory.
We would like to encourage and support you and your children to connect outside of school by using Facetime (free for Mac product owners – only 2 participants at a time), Zoom (free – allows multiple people to participate at once), Skype (free – only 2 participants at a time), and even phone calls.
The following directory (updated 10/14) includes all families who chose to share their contact information, whether it be a phone number, email or both. Some families chose to share additional contact for other family members as well, and is noted with the relationship to the child. We listed only the information that was shared on the Google form survey. The directory is organized by grade from this school year, and alphabetized by students’ first name.
Click here to download the directory.
Contacting the School
Please note that our phone numbers have NOT changed. If you wish to contact us, please call the school office at: 541-790-4606. Our new address is: 850 Howard Avenue, Eugene, OR 97404
Calendar of Events
October 19 (M) Week 5 of Distance Learning Begins
Blue time continues and Green time increased to its regular time
October 21 (W) – 7:00pm-9:00pm – 4J School Board Meeting
October 23 (F) – No School – Professional Development/Planning Day
October 29-30 – No School – Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 3 – Election Day
November 4 (W) – 7:00pm-9:00pm – 4J School Board Meeting