Dear friends and families of Yujin Gakuen,
We have just over a week of school left in 2020. While many of us will be thinking about having some time off during winter break, we have some events coming up next week, including a site council meeting and a PTO meeting on Thursday. We hope to see you at on Zoom. In the meantime, have a happy and safe week.
Story Time with YG Teachers
Teachers have recorded stories to share with students as they get tucked in for a wonderful night sleep. Click on the link below and enjoy the adventures.
Site Council Meeting Next Week
At our September meeting, the council agreed to develop a work plan for this year. Kocho Sensei missed the November meeting, so the work plan was delayed.
The site council will meet next Thursday, from 3:00-4:00pm. At that meeting, we will continue developing our work plan and to incorporate ideas discussed at the November meeting. Our work plan includes:
- How to make the new school environment feel more like our own community or feel like our “home.”
- Focus on opportunities given the current situation to do things that would have been difficult to do during normal times. Repairing taiko drums was an example. YG will look for options for repairing the taiko drums.
- Build a sense of community. We will be looking for ways to encourage and enhance a sense of connection. Some ideas that were brought up: would it be possible to hold group activities (online like class reward party with facilitated games or activites) or doing something like an online movie night.
- How to ensure students were continuing to advance academically and socially.
- Developing a process for our school community to determine our permanent location.
Agenda for next meeting
- Stakeholders Reports
- Old Business
- Review Decision Making Grid
- New Business
- Develop a work plan for the year
More information about the site council can be found on the YG website: https://yg.4j.lane.edu/site-council/
YG PTO Meeting Next Week
The PTO meeting is scheduled for next Thursday, December 17th, from 6:30-7:30pm. The Zoom link will be sent via email the day prior to the meeting. All families are invited to attend. We look forward to seeing you then.
Update on Technology
- Please do not let your student eat around their iPad
- Charge the iPad over night with the iPad turned off (using the power button at the top) to gain a full charge for class the next morning.
- Only use the power block that the school gave you to charge your iPad, others will not work correctly.
- Students should resist pulling on the power cord to disconnect the iPad from the wall or their iPad unit
- Please be sure to take a look at the Parent and Student Tech help site to read or watch immediate answers to common problems. This link is also on your iPad
- If you have any questions or need help with your iPad, send a ticket to Tech Help which is located on your iPad home page. Many of your needs can be taken care of remotely. Parent and Student help ticket.
Supply Pick-Up – Round 4
Our fourth supply distribution is being planned for Thursday, January 7th.
Families might be interested in the Winter Holiday Resource list that came from a contact at the Oregon Department of Human Services.
Student Meals During the Break
Almost winter break! Below is a quick update of what student meals are planned through January 5th:
- Friday, Dec 18 distribution includes a daily meal bag and also a meal box to cover 7 days (breakfast, lunch, and supper meals). This will include a loaf of bread, sandwich fixings (such as meat, cheese, hummus, etc), vegetables, frozen entree for suppers, breakfast bread (such as banana or blueberry bread), and other items. Meal boxes will be delivered on routes and distributed at our 10 serving sites during normal hours (10:45-2pm).
- Monday, Dec 28 at ECCO/ED CENTER ONLY we will provide a meal box for 7 days as well and distribute from 11-5:30pm; there will be no deliveries, only pickup from this one site
- Tuesday, Jan 5 resume meal delivery and distribution at 10 sites
- No sign up is necessary
- Meals are for students only (this is not a “family meal box”)
- Vegetarian and Made without Gluten options are available
COVID Rent Relief Assistance
The Lane County COVID Rent Relief program is for Lane County renters affected by COVID 19 through loss of income or due to a compromised health status, elevated risk or vul-nerability to COVID infection and that a loss of housing would cause a health jeopardy. For information on the program or if you would qualify, click the linked flyer.
Calendar of Events
December 17 (Th)
3:00-4:00, Site Council Meeting
6:30-7:30, PTO Meeting
December 18 (F) – Last day of school prior to winter break
12:30 – Zoom with Kocho Sensei (Zoom link will be shared on Seesaw)
December 19-January 3 – Winter Break
January 4 (M) – No School – Professional Development for Staff
January 5 (T) – First Day of School in 2021
January 7 (Th) – Supply Pick-Up Round 4
January 19 (Th) – First Possible Day of In-Person Learning