Dear friends and families of Yujin Gakuen:
With just one more day of school in 2020, we are approaching the end of the calendar year. I bet no one will be sorry to see this year come to an end. Sadly, many have experienced the hardships that come with social distancing and COVID-related job stress, among other things. We look forward to a much better year for everyone in 2021.
This holiday season, with physical distancing, we will be limiting our social interactions. Yet, this may be an opportunity to return to the simple pleasures in life. We may not be able to dress up for our annual parties or hang out with all our friends, but we can enjoy time at home with family, playing games, reading books, watching movies, drinking hot chocolate, and eating cookies. We hope you have a safe and healthy winter break and a happy new year.
Thank you all for being patient and understanding with us as we all work hard to make the best of this challenging year. Thanks also to the PTO board and to the many parents who have found ways to bring gifts to our staff. We especially appreciate the YG masks, inspired by our mural, that were given to us at the last supply pick-up. Thanks also to the PTO and parents for their continued support.
Thanks again for supporting Yujin Gakuen,
It’s important to note that students in the all-online option will be grouped into separate classrooms from the classes in which they began the year. Those students continuing online learning will be placed in classrooms with other students at Yujin Gakuen.
Classes will be reconfigured starting February 1, the start of the new semester, even if the return to on-site learning is delayed due to public health conditions. That is, regardless of when hybrid learning takes place, students in the Same School Online option will be reconfigured into a new classroom. Please watch for more information in January.
Story Time with YG Teachers
Teachers have recorded stories to share with students as they get tucked in for a wonderful night sleep. Click on the link below and enjoy the adventures.
Site Council Meeting This Week
At our September meeting, the council agreed to develop a work plan for this year. Kocho Sensei missed the November meeting, so the work plan was delayed.
The site council will meet next Thursday, from 3:00-4:00pm. At that meeting, we will continue developing our work plan and to incorporate ideas discussed at the November meeting. Our work plan includes:
- How to make the new school environment feel more like our own community or feel like our “home.”
- Focus on opportunities given the current situation to do things that would have been difficult to do during normal times. Repairing taiko drums was an example. YG will look for options for repairing the taiko drums.
- Build a sense of community. We will be looking for ways to encourage and enhance a sense of connection. Some ideas that were brought up: would it be possible to hold group activities (online like class reward party with facilitated games or activites) or doing something like an online movie night.
- How to ensure students were continuing to advance academically and socially.
- Developing a process for our school community to determine our permanent location.
- Stakeholders Reports
- Admin –
- Updates on Staffing for Second Semester
- Same School Online Learning
- Admin –
- Old Business
- Review Decision Making Grid
- New Business
- Develop a work plan for the year
More information about the site council can be found on the YG website: https://yg.4j.lane.edu/site-council/
YG PTO Meeting
The PTO meeting is scheduled for today, December 17th, from 6:30-7:30pm. The Zoom link was sent via email on Tuesday afternoon. All families are invited to attend. We look forward to seeing you then.
Safe Routes to School Project for Howard Ave. Receives State Funding
Howard Avenue is one of 43 Safe Routes to School projects across Oregon to receive funding from the state to make it safer for students to walk and bike to school! The City of Eugene is funded to develop a protected walking and bicycling space on Howard Avenue between River Road and Howard Elementary. This project will give students walking and bicycling to school safe space to travel that is physically separated from traffic. There will be a public involvement process in 2021, design in 2022 and construction in 2023.
Supply Pick-Up – Round 4
Our fourth supply distribution is being planned for Thursday, January 7th.
Families might be interested in the Winter Holiday Resource list that came from a contact at the Oregon Department of Human Services.
Student Meals During the Break
Almost winter break! Below is a quick update of what student meals are planned through January 5th:
- Friday, Dec 18 distribution includes a daily meal bag and also a meal box to cover 7 days (breakfast, lunch, and supper meals). This will include a loaf of bread, sandwich fixings (such as meat, cheese, hummus, etc), vegetables, frozen entree for suppers, breakfast bread (such as banana or blueberry bread), and other items. Meal boxes will be delivered on routes and distributed at our 10 serving sites during normal hours (10:45-2pm).
- Monday, Dec 28 at ECCO/ED CENTER ONLY we will provide a meal box for 7 days as well and distribute from 11-5:30pm; there will be no deliveries, only pickup from this one site
- Tuesday, Jan 5 resume meal delivery and distribution at 10 sites
- No sign up is necessary
- Meals are for students only (this is not a “family meal box”)
- Vegetarian and Made without Gluten options are available
COVID Rent Relief Assistance
The Lane County COVID Rent Relief program is for Lane County renters affected by COVID 19 through loss of income or due to a compromised health status, elevated risk or vul-nerability to COVID infection and that a loss of housing would cause a health jeopardy. For information on the program or if you would qualify, click the linked flyer.
Calendar of Events
December 18 (F) – Last day of school prior to winter break
12:30 – Zoom with Kocho Sensei (Zoom link will be shared on Seesaw)
December 19-January 3 – Winter Break
January 4 (M) – No School – Professional Development for Staff
January 5 (T) – First Day of School in 2021
January 7 (Th) – Supply Pick-Up Round 4
February 1 (M) – First Possible Day of In-Person Learning