Dear friends and families of Yujin Gakuen:
We are two weeks away from the end of the semester. Can you believe we are almost at the half-way point in the school year? I hope everyone has gotten re-adjusted to school after winter break. It’s been a busy first two weeks in January.
Supply Pick-Up – Round 5
A reminder that the fourth supply distribution is scheduled for today, Thursday, February 4th.
Please see details below:
Date – Thursday, February 4th, 2021
Time – 8AM – 12:00pm and 12:30pm-4:00pm
Note – We will be closed from 12:00 – 12:30 for lunch
Location – YG entrance on the south end of the building, same as last time.
What to do if families cannot pick up at the scheduled times? – We recognize that some families are not able to pick up at the scheduled times. Families that are not able to come at the scheduled times, please contact the office at: 541-790-4606 to schedule a pick up time.
YG Family Zoom Meeting
We held YG Family Zoom Meeting earlier this week (Tuesday, from 5:30 to 6:30 via Zoom). We would like to thank the parents who participated, and a special thanks to Ashley Ferryman for taking notes. The notes will be posted in next week’s newsletter.
Upcoming PTO Meeting and Vote
The PTO would like you to know that there will be a vote at the January 21st meeting on allocating funds for a school mural. Bayne Gardner is working on proposals for mural projects: one he could do for $1,500 or another for $3,000, depending upon what the PTO decides. Members of the YG community are invited to come to the PTO meeting and cast a vote. Information and the zoom link will be sent in a separate email as we get closer to the date.
Site Council Meeting Next Week
The site council will meet next Thursday, from 3:00-4:00pm. At that meeting, we will continue developing our work plan and to incorporate ideas discussed at the November and December meetings. Our work plan includes:
- How to make the new school environment feel more like our own community or feel like our “home.”
- Focus on opportunities given the current situation to do things that would have been difficult to do during normal times. Repairing taiko drums was an example. YG will look for options for repairing the taiko drums.
- Build a sense of community. We will be looking for ways to encourage and enhance a sense of connection. Some ideas that were brought up: would it be possible to hold group activities (online like class reward party with facilitated games or activities) or doing something like an online movie night.
- How to ensure students were continuing to advance academically and socially.
- Developing a process for our school community to determine our permanent location.
Agenda for next meeting
- Stakeholders Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
- Continue developing work plan for the year
More information about the site council, including notes from the December 12th meeting, can be found on the YG website: https://yg.4j.lane.edu/site-council/
2021–22 School Choice Information
|School Choice Request Period:
- 4J resident transfer request lottery: January 1–31, 2021. The request form is available January 1 at 8:00 a.m. and closes January 31 at 11:59 p.m. Lottery to be held by February 15, 2021.
- Non-resident transfer request lottery: March 1–31, 2021
|School Visits for Yujin Gakuen:
Yujin Gakuen Japanese Immersion Elementary
Yujin Gakuen Japanese Immersion Middle School
4J School event schedule
The wonderful Ashley Ferryman put together this list of videos about Oshogatsu. Unfortunately, we cannot hold a celebration at school, but we are sharing these resources with our community. Click the link for Oshogatsu
resources and videos.