Dear families of Yujin Gakuen:
The following is a timeline of events and updates on the condition of the Kelly building.
- Friday, May 7: 4J staff member was doing routine maintenance on the HVAC system.
- Monday, May 10: The maintenance person returned to the school and noticed cracks in the sheet rock.
- Monday, May 10: Facilities administrators inspected the site.
- Monday, May 10: A structural engineer was called in and conducted an initial assessment on Monday evening. The structural engineer noticed that a roof truss was failing.
- Monday, May 10: A communication was sent to staff and students informing them of the condition of the inner gym.
- Tuesday, May 11: The structural engineer returned and investigated the roof line and discovered the second truss was failing as well.
- Wednesday, May 12: Facilities management contacted Hyland Construction to scheduled site visit.
- Monday, May 17: Hyland and facilities met to determine next steps.
- Tuesday, May 18: Hyland and a shoring subcontractor met with facilities staff at the site to plan the shoring.
- Wednesday, May 19: The shoring contractor was onsite to begin the work to shore up the roof that will allow a safer work for Hyland.
- Thursday, May 20: Hyland mobilized equipment to begin selective ceiling demolition.
- Friday, May 21: Hyland began selective ceiling demolition.
- Monday, May 24: Hyland continues ceiling demolition. Second phase shoring will start once ceiling demolition is complete.
- Monday – Wednesday, May 24 – 26: Hyland ceiling demolition.
- Thursday – Friday, May 27 – 28: Second Phase of shoring in process.
- This week: Finalize shoring, engineering evaluation.